Honestly, I’m really proud of myself for doing this. Many, if not most well adjusted adults might say I should be ashamed of myself instead, but I say history will be the judge of that. I’m really pleased with myself for having created this final project, but for its concept and its execution. Its concept is of the type that you come up with when your friends start having babies and you spend more time than you used to watching children’s cartoons. The execution though, would have been a whole hell of a lot harder without DS106. I’m not lying when I say that in putting together this project I used tools and skills from at least three previous units that I can think of to accomplish tasks toward the larger goal. As such, this is an amazing marker of what I’ve learned and accomplished in this class. If all classes had such a satisfying conclusion I’d stay in grad school forever. Sike, nah, dude’s gotta make some money.
This unit shared a lot of tools and techniques, and weirdly talked a lot about definitions, but I think the thing is, we’ve been doing remixes in a way for most of this course. I mean as soon as the assignment was, “take this thing, and combine it with this,” we were doing remixes. So I don’t have anything very new to say about it except that every new thing we do, every tool we use, every thing we try, opens new avenues and makes more and different projects possible, and that’s cool. Concerning the unit, I do have one thing to say, and that is about copyright. I don’t have any beef with my video getting blocked or removed because of copyright. Its not mine, so that’s fair. The thing is, the ds106 site didn’t really help at all. Even the page that’s dedicated to copyright was just like, yeah it happens, here’s some stuff to read on the larger issue if you’re interested. Also there’s vimeo. But that was kind of it. I think such a big real life issue maybe warranted a little more in the way of guidance or suggestion. But maybe that’s just me.
So I think this one is pretty obvious, and I nailed it. The orig- make a minimalist movie poster. So star wars, duh. Then the remix, incorporate elements of a jackson pollock painting. enter: Squiggly lines. All in all, I’d say I nailed it. Plus, that’s 6.36 stars, so that’s great.
9 stars. OVERLOAD.
The original assignment was to write a diary entry for a disney character. The remix: to “Swede it” which, according to a google search, alludes to the Jack Black and Mos Def movie Be Kind Rewind, meaning to make it low budget and weird. So here’s my interpretations of that.
Dear Aladdin’s Diary,
Its been a hard day of, um, urchin-ing. I’m feeling very… dusty. And poor. Me and Aloo- Apu? Me and Abu have just been, you know, being decent guys out here in our hideout kind of area, but its hard going. We’ve only got this one piece of bread to eat. Like, did we want to steal it? No! But hey! My monkey’s gotta eat! I’ll go to jail for him, I don’t even care. I’m way faster than those big, poofy, swordy guys anyway. That princess Jasmine, she’s real pretty. I wonder if there’s some way I could get her to notice me. I’m sure she’d like me a lot if she gave me a chance. If only I had something magic. Abu, what’s that? No way! Get out of here, quit lying’ to me man! Oh, come on, don’t get upset. The monkey is trying to tell me that there’s a big cave out in the desert inside the soul of a tiger demon, and that we could probably get in there and all of our problems would be solved. But like, no way, right? Abu, you’re nuts buddy. I like you, but you’re nuts.
Man, Popcorn can go right to hell with the devil and die. I really wanted to stick it out with this tool and make it work and not be a complainer, but its been like 2 hours that I’ve been doing this and its been setback after setback. and none of it was because I messed something up or couldn’t figure something out- that all happened, but I got over it. It was just the tool itself that kept tripping over its own feet and screwing up what I had already done. I just couldn’t hang with that level of frustrating ineptitude. I’m putting in a serious effort to do everything asked of me for my class, but to get through this the way I’m being asked to I’ll be here all night, and I’ll only have one shitty project made with a broken web tool to show for it, and I don’t want that. The link I’m including below has the work I did for the first half of the remix objectives. I walked away from it when it refused to just leave the wikipedia page where it was supposed to go. I just don’t have that much patience, nor do I think saintliness should be a course requirement.
I thought this remix was going to be really easy and I had not one but TWO really funny ideas so i settled on one and assembled the tools and pieces really quickly and then EVERYTHING FELL RIGHT THE F APART. It took me way too long to realize the reason that Powerpoint (the program I used to layer and adjust these images) was just taking an aggressive crap every time I tried to remove the background on old Mr. Doc’s picture is that it was a huge file. So I opened another one and did a screen grab of it, cause I’m clever. Then I had no problems. Above, my creation.